Immigration Considerations for Insurance Companies | Drinker Faegre Biddle & Reath LLP

Insurance companies require innovative immigration strategies to remain competitive in the global marketplace. From moving business leaders around the world to onboarding talent, understanding visa processes and compliance is essential. Below, we briefly address various immigration compliance issues that affect insurance companies doing business in the US.

Relevant Employment-Based Temporary Visa Categories

Employers in the insurance industry may need to consider sponsoring workers for US visas, despite the potentially complicated process. Flexibility in sponsorship allows employers to consider more employees for the position, including recent graduates from American universities.

H-1B – Specialty Occupation

The H-1B visa is one of the most common professional visas for qualified professional talent who are not US citizens. The H-1B visa classification is for special occupations, which means occupations that require (1) the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and (2) the achievement of a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum requirement to enter the occupation in the United States. The employer must also show that he is offering the prevailing wage for the occupation in the proposed labor market.

For insurance companies, occupations such as business analysts, financial specialists, IT professionals, engineers, executives, and other professional positions generally qualify as “specialty occupations” under the H-1B rules. A recent graduate on a student visa, after a post-graduation work authorization period, will eventually need to obtain a long-term work visa, and the H-1B is a popular option for these employees.

Spread the love

What do you think?