That’s it. Enough. You have had it. Amazon Prime just increased its annual membership fee from $119 to $139, and now the two of you are parting ways. Time to swipe right on a new online retailer, one place to land to satisfy at least most of your online shopping needs, conveniently, all in one place, without exorbitant shipping costs adding up, add up, add up
This is where we intervene. We’ve evaluated nine alternatives to Amazon Prime for your consideration. Warning: There is Will be some compromises. You will find that the supply may not be as wide and deep as Amazon’s. You may need to shop strategically or sign up for credit cards or loyalty programs to avoid shipping charges. Have a look.
Walmart+ is less expensive than Amazon Prime
Walmart+ is the traditional mega-retailer’s answer to Amazon Prime. And expect to hear a lot more from Walmart+ as the Amazon Prime subscription boost finishes landing (for new subscribers, it’s already in effect; for current subscribers, the boost starts for renewals starting March 25). This is a great opportunity for Walmart+ to gain subscribers from the frustrated Prime masses.
- What do you sell: Automotive, baby supplies, books, children’s toys and games, clothing, electronics, furniture, general housewares, groceries, luggage, music/movies, office supplies, personal care products, pet supplies, sports articles.
- Annual membership fee: $98 (or $12.95 per month) after a 30-day free trial.
- Shipping options: Free same-day shipping on eligible items. Grocery items are $35 minimum to qualify for free shipping.
- Return policy: Free for most items returned within 90 days of delivery. Selected items cannot be returned.
Additional benefits: Walmart+ members receive 5 cents off every gallon of gas at Walmart gas stations, as well as Murphy gas stations and Sam’s Club service centers. Walmart+ members also have the option to shop in-store with the Walmart app and use the contactless scan-and-ready feature. The app will allow you to scan grocery items with your phone and pay at self-checkout. Walmart+ members also get early access to select deals and promotions, including Black Friday.
Walmart.com (free of charge)
You don’t have to become a full member to get a number of Walmart benefits.
- What do you sell: Appliances, Automotive Products, Baby Supplies, Books, Clothing, Electronics, Furniture, General Housewares, Groceries, Movies/Music, Office Supplies, Personal Care Products, Pet Supplies.
- Annual membership fee: N/A.
- Shipping options: Free two-day shipping on eligible items with a minimum purchase of $35. Up to five days on all other items, free shipping. Freight shipping is available for heavy or oversized orders, and the cost is based on the size of the order.
- Return policy: Varies by department. Most unopened items can be returned up to 90 days after purchase.
Additional benefits: Online order/store pickup available for most items. Subscribers to the Walmart supermarket app can place orders and schedule a pick-up time. A Walmart team member will load your purchases into the trunk of your car for you. Walmart credit cardholders can get up to 3% back on online and grocery purchases.
For anyone who bought computers and computer peripherals online in the 2000s, yes, Newegg is still around, expanding its retail horizon significantly. But it still has that nerd-techie buzz, with dongles, gaming PCs, and computer memory chips front and center on the homepage.
- What do you sell: Clothing, appliances, automotive items, electronics, general housewares, flowers and gifts, office supplies and furniture, toys and drones.
- Annual membership fee: N/A.
- Shipping options: Free shipping on orders over $25.
- Return policy: Free returns only on defective items (30 day window). Some items will be marked with a 45 day return policy.
Additional benefits– Look for promotional discount codes next to the items you want to buy. Another way to save is to shop at Newegg Certified restoration outlet.
ShopRunner is a members-only hot deals site that represents hundreds of retailers. Free shipping in two days? Yes please!
- What do you sell– A variety of products ranging from clothing to fine jewelry to prescription eyewear from more than 100 retailers, including Saks Fifth Avenue, Cole Haan and Under Armor.
- Annual membership fee: complimentary membership for existing PayPal members, Mastercard World and World Elite cardholders, American Express US Consumer and Small Business cardholders, and Chase. For others, there’s a three-month free membership to get free shipping and returns. After that, it’s a $79 annual membership.
- Shipping options: Free two-day shipping with no minimum purchase at most participating stores.
Return policy: Free. Each retailer under the Shoprunner banner has different return terms, from a week to a year.
Like Walmart, Target has physical stores and a significant online presence.
- What do you sell: Appliances (small), baby items, books, clothing, electronics, furniture, general household items, groceries, movies/music, office supplies, personal care products, pet supplies.
- Annual membership fee: N/A.
- Shipping options: Free two-day shipping on a $35 minimum purchase or when you use your Target REDcard (no annual fee). One-day and same-day delivery is available through the Shipt app; Instacart has one-hour delivery (charges apply).
- Return policyNote: Most unopened items can be returned within 90 days of purchase (if purchased with a Target REDcard, an additional 30 days is added). Electronic and entertainment items must be returned within 30 days of purchase. Mobile phones must be returned within 14 days of purchase. Apple products must be returned within 15 days of purchase.
Additional benefits: Order online/pick up in store on most items. Pharmacy services, such as online prescription refills, are available. target application subscribers can place orders and select the drive-thru option. Upon arrival, a Target team member will load the trunk of your car for you. target red card cardholders receive a 5% discount on purchases and early access to new product launches.
Fall into the Gap and its “Sister Sites”
Many brands share corporate ownership. In general, this is more of interest to investors than buyers, but there is one way it matters: shipping offers. If free shipping is your thing, shopping at “sister sites” can help you hit the minimum free shipping threshold, says savvy shopping expert Trae Bodge of TrueTrae. “A good example of this is the Gap family of brands, which includes Gap, Athlete, old navyand Banana RebublicBodge said. “These sites offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more, so if you need something from Gap and something from one of the other sister sites, you can get free shipping for yourself.”
Here’s how it works: You can buy something on the Gap site and add it to your shopping bag. You can then switch to, say, Banana Republic (there’s a link at the top of the page), Athleta, or Old Navy, add items to the shopping bag, and then head to checkout. All items from the different Gap sites land in a shared shopping bag.
Be a loyal customer and get free shipping at these retailers
Being loyal has its advantages. Staying loyal could mean the same free shipping you’ve opted for on Amazon Prime and possibly other rewards.
“Another trick is to join loyalty programs where your membership qualifies you for free shipping,” says Bodge. “Bloomingdale’s, To converseand Nike are examples of this. By belonging to the loyalty program, you can get free shipping on your orders.”